About 2 weeks ago I purchased my first pair of vibram fivefingers shoes and I have not looked back since. Here is my personal vibram fivefingers review.
I had seen other wearing them and after researching the idea behind barefoot running, barefoot hiking, and Vibramâ€™s initiative to create shoes to enhance the experience I was intrigued.Â I am a big believer in doing things naturally.
The First Week
The minute that I put them on I noticed two things; how incredibly great they felt and how everyone suddenly noticed what I was wearing on my feet. I am surprised at how many people felt comfortable asking me about them.Â Most questions were geared toward how they felt, if the shoes had enough cushioning, and if I ever stubbed my toe.Â I enjoyed watching the sometimes critical expressions turned to curiosity as I gave a thorough review and brief explanation about by barefoot is better.
Vibram Fivefingers and Hiking
When I purchased my Vibrams I definitely had running and hiking in mind and was looking forward to seeing how they did on the trail.Â Iâ€™ve gone on 3 hikes in Kentucky and I only have great things to say about these shoes.Â When wearing sturdy hiking boots I feel like I am trudging through the woods; disconnected from the ground.Â With Vibram Fivefingers you can feel where you are walking with much more sensory.
A few things that I noticed on the trail:
- Every step feels more balanced and intentional
- My feet stay cooler and do not sweat like they do with boots. Because of this I did not get any hotspots or blisters
- Vibram Fivefingers make you use calf muscles that you do not normally use.Â Youâ€™ll probably notice some sore muscles during the break-in phase; especially when trekking.
- I noticed that it is very easy for water/moisture to come in around the toes but I also noticed that because of the breathable material it quickly dries.Â Iâ€™m not too concerned about this but I would like to look into cold weather options like vibram fivefingers socks.
- These shoes can often catch grass or weeds in between the toes.Â To me itâ€™s more funny then annoying.
Where to Buy Vibram Fivefingers
There is no way to put into words all of the enjoyment youâ€™ll experience so youâ€™ll just have to try it for yourself!